Wednesday, December 12

One reason I love Christmas

I went out and did some Christmas shopping today. I love Christmas presents. Specifically, I love giving Christmas presents. It's the one time each year when I have the ability to do something nice for the people that I care about, whether they want us to or not. I can do something for them without requiring (or even expecting) anything in return. I can give a gift or do something else nice, even if the receiver doesn't want me to give them a gift. And I think that's one of the things that God likes about our modern celebration of Christmas. Because that's what he did for us. At that first Christmas, he sent us a gift, without requiring anything in return. He gave us a gift simply because he cares about us. And he gave the gift, regardless of whether people wanted him to give them a gift or not. I think that when we do something nice for someone just because we can, with no expectation of getting anything back in return, we catch a glimpse of the heart of God. And he sees a reflection of at least part of himself in us.

No comments: