Tuesday, November 6

What I'm Reading Now




I decided that I really need to get to work on my reading list. I have a bunch of books that I want to read, and in a couple of weeks, I'm headed to the Youth Specialties National Youth Workers Convention. It's a great conference, and I always come home with more great books to read. So I need to try to clear out some space on my reading list, otherwise I won't be done for years...

So right now I'm reading The Gospel According to Starbucks by Leonard Sweet. It's an interesting look at Starbucks and the church, and what the church can learn from Starbucks.

Starbucks has become a cultural destination. People want to go there. In fact, people will stand in line (although not necessarily long lines) in order to participate in the Starbucks experience. When was the last time that you saw people standing in line to get into church?

Starbucks has tapped into what our emerging culture in looking for in the experience of coffee, without changing the nature of coffee. Sweet looks at ways that the church can learn from Starbucks, and create experiences and methods for drawing people from our emerging culture to Christ without compromising the message of who Christ.

I haven't finished the book yet, but based on the first half, I strongly encourage you to take a look at it.

No comments: