Thursday, November 29

One thing I love about Christmas

I love the fact that Christmas is a time when people do nice things for people who are less fortunate. I saw a story on the news tonight about people who are answering letters to Santa Claus. Anyone who wants to can go to Chicago's Main Post Office and look at letters that have been sent to Santa. If they find one that catches their eye, they can take the letter and answer the request. Often, these letters are written by (or for) children who come from families where there won't be much of a Christmas. I think that it is really cool that people are willing to buy presents for families they don't know in order to help people who are not as well off.

Christmas time can sometimes show people at their selfish, consumeristic worst. But at the same time, it provides the opportunity to show people at their best. It always excites me that so many people use Christmas as an opportunity to do something nice for someone else.

No comments: