Monday, May 1

Theory of Relativity

I'm about to make a statement that is going to bother a lot of Christians. So I ask you, please, bear with me for a couple of minutes...

I believe that at least some truth is relative, and depends on a person's perspective. One of the things that I learned in my business and advertising classes in college is that, at least in some areas, perception is reality.

One easy example of this is in the idea of the quality of products. Everybody has a type of product or a brand that they believe is low quality. Reebok shoes is one for me. After a bad experience or two, I have been convinced for years that Reebok shoes are low quality. You could bring me whatever objective proof you want, there is no way that you are going to convince me otherwise.

I am completely convinced that my perception is true, and I act as though it's true, so whether or not its really true, it is reality to me.

That's not to say that all truth is relative. Some Truth is never relative. 2 + 2 = 4. It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks, it's objectively True. Jesus Christ is also objectively True. Jesus said that he is The Truth. To be a follower of Christ, you have to accept the fact that he only is the Truth, and that there is no other way to God. This spiritual Truth is not relative.

There are a lot of people in our culture today who believe that the spiritual realm is one of the areas where truth is relative. Unfortunately, followers of Christ use this as a place to attack people who have not yet come to know Christ, rather than to view this as an opportunity.

To often, when someone takes the "everyone should do what seems right for them" approach to spirituality, followers of Christ go on the attack, and start explaining why that view is wrong. Unfortunately this "you're wrong" approach only drives a wedge between the two people, can make the other person angry, and can result in closing the door on an opportunity to be a good witness.

Instead, if someone believes that spiritual truth is relative, then we should see this as an opportunity. If they believe that spiritual truth is relative, then my truth is as valid as anyone else's, and it is legitimate and acceptable for me to talk about what I believe. If spiritual truth is relative, they can't shut me down because I have a legitimate claim to the truth. Instead, I have the opportunity to share my experience with Christ. I can invite people to look at my experience and see that Christ is real.

I think that rather than trying to convince people that they are wrong, that truth is not relative, and therefore Christ must be accepted, we should use this belief as an opportunity to share our faith and to allow the impact of Christ in our lives to demonstrate that the Truth is true.

1 comment:

TheBGRT said...

I think what you said is truthful and accurate. I pretty much agree with what you said!